Alliance for Liberty, Equality, and Justice in Ethiopia (ALEJE)
AGREEMENT to Establish the Alliance
We, the political organizations listed at the end of this document;
After careful consideration of the damages caused by the ethno–centric dictatorial regime of Meles Zenawi of Ethiopia on the national interest and security of our nation; and fully aware that, the longer this regime is allowed to stay in power, the longer will be the pain and humiliation endured by the people of Ethiopia;
Mindful of the call of the Ethiopian people for unity and their strong desire to see the different political and civic organizations coordinate their effort and resources, and raise their arms on the ethno-centric dictatorial regime that has no concern for the problems of Ethiopia;
Convinced that the results of the 2010 election drama that clearly showed the intention of the TPLF/EPRDF regime to dominate all spheres of life in Ethiopia; and taking into account the regime’s unwillingness to function in a multi-party environment, the Ethiopian people have come to the conclusion that the only way to end tyranny and humiliation is to get rid of the TPLF regime by any means possible;
Taking into consideration, that there is a consensus among Ethiopians that the unity of the democratic forces of Ethiopia is the only path to democracy, justice, freedom, peace and prosperity in Ethiopia, and believing whole heartedly that the alliance of the Ethiopian democratic forces is the only alternative to get rid of the ethno-centric dictatorial regime and create a truly united Ethiopia where justice, peace, equality and economic prosperity prevails.
We believe that the Alliance of the three organizations (Afar People Party, Ginbot 7 Movement for Freedom, Justice and Democracy, Movement for Ethiopian Unity and Justice) is not a goal by itself, but a foundation to build a wider, representative, inclusive and stronger alliance.
We re-affirm our promise to the Ethiopian people and call on all the democratic forces of Ethiopia to form a grand alliance to wage a determined struggle against the regime in power.
Therefore, we have agreed to take the first steps of the freedom journey by establishing Alliance for Liberty, Equality, and Justice in Ethiopia (ALEJE)
Section 1: Shared Values by Member Organizations of the Alliance:
- Bring an end to dictatorship in Ethiopia, and lay the foundation for a democratic system where political power in all levels of government is decided by the free will of the people;
- All Member organizations of the Alliance concur that democratic elections are the only path to power; and paving the way for a democratic transition to power is the primary objective of the Alliance;
- All Member organizations of the Alliance agree to abide by the democratic decisions of the people;
- Allow political power and administrative authority to devolve from the center to the constituent political units, empower people to make decisions on their internal affairs; ensure the supremacy of the law, equality between people, and have respect for fundamental freedom and human rights;
- Ensure that the core values enumerated above are respected by all members of the society, individuals or groups. The Alliance will ensure the establishment of free, independent and democratic institutions;
- Commit Alliance members not to use minor policy differences, at this stage, to hinder the goals of the organization until justice and democracy prevails in Ethiopia and the people can voice their opinion on the political, economic and social policies that will presented to them;
- Take steps to ensure that the Alliance operates openly and transparently and shall be completely accountable;
- Resolve differences between member organizations of the Alliance through frank and open dialogue. If differences persist, the issue shall be resolved according to the by-laws of the Alliance.
Section 2 Objectives of the Alliance:
- To replace the TPLF/EPRDF regime in a multifaceted and coordinated popular struggle;
- To organize a national congress that includes all Ethiopian political organization inside and outside of Ethiopia;
- To establish a transitional government based on the decisions of the national congress;
- To complete the preconditions for a national democratic election during the transition period and pave the way for a free and fair national election.
Section 3 Basic Political Principles of the Alliance:
- Accept that the people are the only source of power in Ethiopia and fair and free democratic election is the only path to political power;
- Accept the unity of Ethiopia based on equality, justice, and common vision of its people; and show a concerted effort towards this goal;
- Accept that political differences and all other national issues shall be resolved through dialogue, national consensus or through national popular decisions;
Section 4 Tasks of the Alliance:
- To implement the objectives and principles enumerated above. The Alliance shall work in a unified organization and struggle for national unity, equality, justice, and democracy;
- To make sure that the popular struggle meets its objective. The Alliance shall design and implement strategies, tactics, action plans and goals;
- To prepare a budget, to collect financial dues from member organizations and make operational and financial decisions;
- To reinforce the struggle for national unity, equality and democracy. The Alliance shall prepare diplomatic action plans and executes the plan in a coordinated way;
- To prepare operational tasks, responsibilities, and organizational structure of the Alliance and make performance evaluations;
- To allocate human resources in every committee of the Alliance and coordinate, monitor and evaluate the activities of the various committees;
- To aggressively recruit members for the Alliance, and extend invitation to political organizations that meet the membership criteria to join the Alliance;
- To make a relentless effort to transform the Alliance into a unified political force
This AGREEMENT (the “Agreement”) is entered into on June 18, 2010 and shall be effective thereafter.
Member Organizations of the Alliance:
- Afar People Party;
- Ginbot 7 Movement for Freedom, Justice and Democracy;
- Movement for Ethiopian Unity and Justice
Commit Alliance members not to use policy differences at this stage to hinder the goals of the organization until justice and democracy prevails in Ethiopia and the people can voice their opinion on the political, economic and social policies that will presented to them.